PhD, Toxicology and Risk Assessment, Univ. of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 2012
MPH, Master of Public Health, Toxicology and Risk Assessment, Univ. of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, 2007
BS, Animal Science, Univ. of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2001
CERTIFICATIONS & REGISTRATIONS
- Certified Industrial Hygienist, American Board of Industrial Hygiene, Certification No. CP 11576
- Licensed Mold Assessor, Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, No. MRSA2697
- Infection Control Risk Assessment, accredited by The Linders Institute (Orlando, FL)
Dr. LeBeau has over ten years of experience as a toxicologist, public health, and occupational health consultant. He has conducted human health risk assessments of contaminated sites using U.S. EPA and state and local regulatory guidance and he has evaluated and monitored remediation activities at contaminated facilities. He has also composed toxicity and safety assessments on consumer products, including Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) determinations for food ingredients following U.S. FDA regulations. Additionally, Dr. LeBeau has provided litigation support on a number of occupational and environmental exposure claims. Further, he has assessed environmental and occupational exposures to a variety of substances (including Chinese drywall) and has performed Legionella investigations.
Toxicology and Product Safety
- Provided toxicology support related to methyl cyclohexanone (MCH), 4 methylcyclohexanemethanol (MCHM), and co-occurring chemicals following a substantial release into a river used as a drinking water. Additionally, calculated a site-specific drinking water standard for the methanol that was reported to have been released in the mixture. Assisted with making recommendations to relevant stakeholders and provided follow-up risk assessment and toxicology support.
- Provided United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) regulatory compliance and registration support to companies with products that were making unsupported antimicrobial claims on product labels. Evaluated each company’s liability in such a circumstance. Compliance support included working directly with agency regulators to resolve compliance and registration issues.
- Provided Health Canada Pesticide Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) regulatory compliance and registration support for a novel antimicrobial product distributed by an international client. Conducted an extensive toxicological review of the active ingredients and break-down products, and provided a written review of the potential health concerns associated with exposure. Prepared a registration application for submission to the regulatory agency and had direct interaction with the regulator during follow-up discussions.
- Performed an extensive review of relevant toxicity information for an analysis of livestock exposures to xylenes related to a petroleum condensate release. This included evaluation of groundwater sample data collected from the site and the derivation of a safe exposure level that would be protective of livestock receptors.
- Provided toxicological reviews of various substances including methanol, para-tertiary-octylphenol, MCH, MCHM, total petroleum hydrocarbons, PCBs, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), pesticides, silica, taconite, and particulate matter.
- Modeled occupational and residential receptor exposures using environmental exposure data in relevant media. This ultimately allowed for hazard analysis and facilitated the ability to communicate potential risks to clients.
- Analyzed available toxicology data and selected the most appropriate concentration to include on safety data sheets.
- Produced Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) safety dossiers for food ingredients and animal feed ingredients.
- Provided oversight of toxicity studies at contract research organizations (CROs) to evaluate the safety of food ingredients.
- Composed and submitted a food ingredient health claim petition to FDA.
- Evaluated client provided data and publicly available information to evaluate the safety of chemical constituents used in food contact surfaces.
- Developed risk-based exposure/clean-up limits for occupational/industrial and residential receptors using site-specific exposure parameters and conducted subsequent risk assessments following federal and state methodologies. Recommended risk management conclusions and safe practices to be implemented during remediation activities at former industrial facilities.
- Derived lead exposure limit for residential receptors in close proximity to former industrial facilities. Analysis included determining site-specific lead bioavailability and calculating an exposure limit using biokinetic modeling.
- Performed a hazard analysis to evaluate the potential for health effects associated with creosote and particulate matter originating from a railroad tunnel fire as it related to worker and residential exposures.
- Assessed vapor intrusion potential at a diesel spill near a commercial building. Modeling was conducted to determine the indoor air concentrations that may be associated with residual product under the building. Additionally, occupant exposures were subsequently assessed via air sampling to validate the model’s results.
- Evaluated air monitoring data collected from a crude oil pipeline release. Benzene and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were the constituents of concern (COCs) at the site. Continuous ambient air monitoring ensured the safety and health of both workers conducting remediation activities and residents in a nearby community were not adversely impacted. Data were analyzed and risks were communicated daily to the client.
- Performed a risk assessment for a Superfund site where sediment, fish, and crawfish were impacted with polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). The assessment was performed in accordance with USEPA guidance and augmented with state-specific exposure parameters.
- Assessed the risk associated with residual mercury found in the soles of select imported sneakers. This included a human health assessment of risk from exposure and an evaluation of impacts to a landfill’s total mercury content following used sneaker disposal.
- Composed a risk assessment for contaminated food products and evaluated the impact that the product may have on potential consumers.
- Evaluated adverse event reports in publicly available literature and determined the impact these reports may have on a food manufacturer.
- Performed indoor air quality evaluations at single family and multi-family residential buildings constructed with defective, imported drywall (i.e., Chinese drywall). Indoor air of homes constructed with defective drywall was sampled and analyzed for reduced sulfur gases. Analytical results were evaluated to determine residential receptor exposures to gases released from the drywall and any risk associated with potential overexposures to reduced sulfur gases. Reports were composed for property owners explaining the results from sampling in their homes.
- Performed ambient air quality monitoring at and in the neighboring community of a former manufacturing facility that used beryllium to create precision machine parts. During demolition of the facility, ambient air was monitored for beryllium, particulate matter, VOCs (using both photoionization detectors [PIDs] and summa canisters), and asbestos. Employee monitoring using personal sampling pumps and passive dosimeters was also conducted. Data were evaluated to determine occupational and community exposures. Weekly reports were prepared for the client summarizing the monitoring activities and evaluated any potential negative impacts to a receptor’s health.
- Performed indoor air quality assessments at health care facilities. Performed both qualitative and quantitative evaluations of indoor air, including particulate matter, bioaerosols, carbon monoxide, and relative humidity. Evaluated potential patient and employee exposures.
- Performed indoor air quality assessments of occupied commercial buildings. Performed a qualitative assessment of indoor air quality, including bioaerosols. Reports were prepared for facility management detailing the facility conditions and delineating the extent of the microbial impact.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & HONORS
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA): Member
- American Industrial Hygiene Association, Florida Chapter: Member (2009-2012, 2017)
- 2009-2012: Professional Development Coordinator
- Society of Toxicology: Member
- 2014 AIHA Future Leaders Institute, AIHA, Washington, D.C
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH): Member
- LeBeau, A., Matulka, R., Comstock, B. Safety evaluation of a milk-based protein powder produced by a novel manufacturing technique. Food Chem Toxicol, 2017 (103): 86-101.
- Dolan, L.C., Matulka, R.A., LeBeau, A.L., Boulet, J.M. Two new nontoxic, non-pathogenic strains of Sphingomonas elodea for gellan gum production. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol, 2016 (78):37-44.
- LeBeau, A. L. Insects as protein replacements. Nutraceutical Business Review, 2016. http://www.nutraceuticalbusinessreview.com/news/article_page/Insects_as_protein_replacements/114705
- LeBeau, A.L., Matulka, R. A. Ingredient Identification in the Time of FSMA. Nutritional Outlook. November, 2015. http://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/trends-business/FSMA/1511
- LeBeau, A. A Comparison of Ambient Air BTEX Concentrations between Two Counties with Active Petroleum Wells. Toxicologist, 2015.
- LeBeau, A., Pawlisz, A., Public Health Concerns Surrounding Fine Particulate Matter Generated from Hydraulic Fracturing. Toxicologist, 2014
- LeBeau, A.L., Johnson, G.T., McCluskey, J.D., Harbison, R.D. Evaluation of Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers among a Sample of the Population in the United States. J Clinic Toxicol, 2012: S5:003.
- LeBeau, A., Johnson, G., McCluskey, J., and Harbison, R. Evaluation of Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers among Children and Adolescents. Toxicologist, 2012
- LeBeau, A., Johnson, G., McCluskey, J., and Harbison, R. Evaluation of Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers among Residents of the United States. Toxicologist, 2010
- LeBeau, A., Gauthier, T., Poole, J., and DeMott, R. Determination of Reduced Sulfur Gases in Construction Materials. Technical Symposium on Corrosive Imported Drywall, 2009 http://www.drywallsymposium.com/blind/posters.html
- LeBeau, A. Manganese. Hamilton and Hardy’s Industrial Toxicology (Harbison, R.D., Bourgeois, M.M., and Johnson, G.T. Eds.), Sixth Edition. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2015: pp 149-156.
- LeBeau, A. Platinum Group Elements. Hamilton and Hardy’s Industrial Toxicology (Harbison, R.D., Bourgeois, M.M., and Johnson, G.T. Eds.), Sixth Edition. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2015: pp 187-192.
- LeBeau, A. Platinum. Hamilton and Hardy’s Industrial Toxicology (Harbison, R.D., Bourgeois, M.M., and Johnson, G.T. Eds.), Sixth Edition. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2015: pp 193-198.
- American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition (AIHce) 2018. Platform presentation: Disinfection Byproducts Risk Management. Philadelphia, PA
- Florida Water Resources Conference. Platform Presentation: Building Water Management and the Local Water District: How a Proactive Approach Can Reduce End-User Risk. Daytona Beach, FL 2018.
- Institute of Food Technologists. Platform presentation: Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) in the New Millennium of Technology and Food Science. Chicago, IL 2016.
- Institute of Food Technologists. Platform presentation: FDA’s Guidelines on Nanotechnology. Chicago, IL 2016.
- Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. Poster: A Comparison of Ambient Air BTEX Concentrations between Two Counties with Active Petroleum Wells. San Diego, CA 2015.
- Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. Poster: Public Health Concerns Surrounding Fine Particulate Matter Generated from Hydraulic Fracturing. Phoenix, AZ 2014
- Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. Poster: Evaluation of Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers Among Children and Adolescents. San Francisco, CA 2012
- Society of Toxicology Annual Meeting. Poster: Evaluation of Urinary Pesticide Biomarkers Among Residents of the United States. Salt Lake City, UT 2010
- Technical Symposium on Corrosive Imported Drywall. Poster: Reduced Sulfur Gases in Construction Materials. Tampa, FL 2009