Senior Project Manager
San Diego Office3111 Camino Del Rio N Ste 435
San Diego, CA 92108
M.S., Occupational Hygiene, University of Wollongong, Australia, 2013
B.S., Sport & Exercise Science, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 2005
Certifications and Registrations
- Certified Occupational Hygienist (COH), Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists
Kristy Thornton has over 10 years of experience in a consultant capacity providing safety, health and industrial hygiene services to support clients to develop and implement health and hygiene programs during the planning and execution of major projects to evaluate chemical, physical and biological hazards in a variety of workplaces, including contaminated land, construction and infrastructure projects.
Ms. Thornton is also involved in designing industrial health and safety management programs which include health risk assessment of various methodologies for implementation across the life-cycle of major infrastructure assets. Such assessments include qualitative approaches during asset feasibility, design and procurement, followed by quantitative assessment during construction, commissioning and operation, the design of which is intended to afford evidence-based and timely decision making and inform the selection and implementation of practical controls relevant to each client’s project or operational environment.
Ms. Thornton’s experience also extends to collaborating and coordinating with engineers and safety professionals within the Australian tunneling and construction industries to develop, implement and promote best practice guidance material intended for use to improve the control and management of workers respirable crystalline silica exposure.
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- American Industrial Hygiene Association, National member
- San Diego American Industrial Hygiene Association, Local chapter member
- Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists, Full Member
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Future Leaders Institute, Class of 2018
- Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists, Young Hygienist of the Year, 2017
- Occupational Disease; what can safety Professionals do to control and prevent occupational disease, Safety Institute of Australia (SIA), Safety in Action Conference, 2015.
- Actual Risk verses Perception of Risk on a remediation site, CleanUp Conference, 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- Preventing Occupational Illness & Disease on a Toxic Remediation Project, Ecoforum Conference, 2014, concurrent session.
- Thermal Heat Stress. Occupational Hygiene – A Practical Approach, Safety Institute of Australia (SIA), Safety in Action Conference, 2014.
- Assessment of Exposure to Thermal Stress while working in encapsulating suits – Platypus Remediation Project – Concurrent session. Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists (AIOH) 31st Annual Conference and Exhibition, 2013.