Director - San Francisco
San Francisco/Bay Area Office
B.S., Agricultural Systems and Environment: Sustainable Production Systems, University of California at Davis, 2001
Certifications and Registrations
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene, Certified in Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene (CIH) #10590CP
- American Council for Accredited Certification, Certified Indoor Environmental Consultant (CIEC) #1302021
- California Department of Occupational Safety and Health, Certified Asbestos Consultant #10-4596
- Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Certified Asbestos Abatement Consultant #IJPM1461
- California Department of Public Health, Lead Inspector/Assessor #20593
David has over 17 years of increasing leadership roles within the environmental health, industrial hygiene and hazardous building materials consulting community, while serving a wide array of clients in both the litigated and non-litigated environments. Over the course of his career, he has built a broad range of exposure assessment experience including indoor air quality investigations, building and HVAC system evaluations, evaluating engineering controls and assessing various physical, chemical and biological exposures. He has extensive asbestos abatement and mold remediation project oversight experience for numerous industry sectors including, healthcare, defense, property management, hospitality, higher education and insurance agencies. As a senior member of the technical team, David provides QA/QC oversight on project reports, client hazard communication and services related to industrial hygiene inspections and assessments.
David’s understanding of the standard of care in industrial hygiene is the result of having evaluated hundreds of investigation strategies and sampling plans, as well as interfacing and collaborating with some of the top names within the industrial hygiene community.
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Member, American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), National and Local Sections
- Indoor Environmental Quality committee
- Indoor Air Quality Practitioner Body of Knowledge (BoK) committee
- Direct Reading Instrument Body of Knowledge (BoK) stakeholder committee
- Member, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
- Member, California Society for Healthcare Engineering (CSHE)
- Brinkerhoff and M. Rosales, “From Hardhats to Hair Covers: IEQ Investigations in Healthcare Facilities,” The Synergist, Volume 26, Number 6 (June/July 2015): 28-31.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association Conference and Exposition Professional development Courses
- Introduction to toxicology for the IH Professional, May 2018
- The industrial Hygienist as Expert Witness, May 2018
- California Industrial Hygiene Council, OEHS – Making a Difference, December 2018
- Bay Area Safety Symposium, March 2018
- Perrin National Asbestos Litigation Conference, San Francisco, September 2016
- Perrin Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference, Beverly Hills, March 2016
- Elemental Industrial Hygiene 100 hour course, AIHA, December 2013
- California Hazardous Waste Classification Training, DTSC, July 2013
- Indoor Environmentalist Awareness Level, IAQA, September 2012
- Indoor Environmentalist Intermediate Level, IAQA, September 2012
- 10 Hour Construction Safety, OSHA, January 2010
- Scaffold Safety and Fall Protection, OSHA, January 2010
- Niton XRF Analyzer/Radiation Safety Training Course, Thermo Fisher Scientific, August 2009
- Sampling and Evaluating Airborne Asbestos Dust – NIOSH 582E, MICA, March 2009
- Investigation, Management and Remediation of Mold in Buildings, Aerias, LLC, February 2002
- Prevention, Determination and Remediation of Biological Contamination, AIHce Symposium, 2002
- AHERA Building Inspector, Contractor/Supervisor, Project Designer and Management Planner initial courses and annual refresher courses
- CDPH Accredited Lead Inspector Assessor initial course and annual refreshers courses
- “After the Smoke Clears…,” Presented to the Alliance of Schools for Cooperative Insurance Programs (ASCIP), February 26, 2019.
- “Silica Regulations and Exposure Assessment Methods,” Presented to Garney Construction, February 4, 2019.
- “Hazardous Material Surveys in Construction,” Presented to Truebeck Construction, October 19, 2017.
- “Qualifications and Case Studies in Environmental Liability Management,” Presented to Great American Insurance Group Education Conference, February 7, 2017.
- “HVAC and Hospital Room Conditions: Where the Joint Commission, OSHPD and ASHRAE Collide,” Presented to the California Society for Healthcare Engineering, Central Valley Chapter, January 19, 2017.
- “An overview of Program Level OSHA Compliance and Employee Protection,” Presented to the National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE), Western Region Conference, December 1, 2016.
- “Mold 101 for Healthcare Environments,” Presented to the California Society for Healthcare Engineering, Redwood Chapter, August 17, 2016.
- “HVAC and Hospital Room Conditions: Where the Joint Commission, OSHPD and ASHRAE Collide,” Presented to the California Society for Healthcare Engineering, San Francisco Chapter, January 19, 2016.
- “Practical Applications of Containments in Hospitals,” Presented to the California Society for Healthcare Engineering, Central Valley Chapter, August, 2014.
- Epstien and D. Brinkerhoff, Case Studies Illustrating IEQ Challenges in Sustainably Constructed Buildings. Presented at AIHce 2007, Philadelphia, PA.
- Brinkerhoff and P. Morey, The Effect of Construction Site Dust on Mold Clearance Sampling, Bioaerosols, Fungi, Bacteria, Mycotoxins and Human Health. Albany, New York: Fungal Research Group Foundation, Inc., 2005. Presented at The 5th International Conference on Bioaerosols, Fungi, Bacteria, Mycotoxins and Human Health, September 2003, Sarasota Springs, New York.